Sunday, January 18, 2009

Adaptations to Desert Environments





Selection Thinking

The true power of the process of natural selection is that it provides us way of thinking about the diversity in the world around us. If we expect that organisms will be adapted to the condition in their environment the we can think like engineers and ask the questions- how would I design the a trait in that environment? We call this approach "selection thinking". This approach has been highly successful in allowing scientists to understand aspects of physiology, morphology, life history, and behavior in all sorts of environments in all sorts of species. In my research I have used this approach to study behavior in sparrows, woodrats, and beavers and reproduction in deer and plants.
Often, ecologists use mathematical models (often models ripped off from economists and engineers) as tools to help them understand traits of organisms. Although explicitly using mathematical models to study adaptations is probably too advanced for most middle school and high school science classes, I do think that it is important for you as teachers to know that math is an extremely important tool for scientists and be able to express that to your students as often as possible. It is unfortunate that math and science are usually taught as separate topics. As a Zoology Major at UCSB I took calculus during my Freshman year because that is what my advisor told me to do. During the final quarter of my senior year when in a graduate level Reproductive Ecology the professor used calculus to solve a problem that I had the "Oh, now I understand why I was supposed to learn all of that math!" moment.

Using mathematical models forces scientists to do very important things. First, we must clearly state our assumption. Second, it forces us to formailze out logic. When scientists don't use mathetical models they are often forced to rely upon what we call "arm waving" verbal arguments (you should be familiar with these arguments because we see them all of the time when we watch politicians on TV). Often, conclusions that seem reasonable based on verbal arguments actually are incorrect because they are based on either unrealistic assumptions or faulty logic.

I came across an example of a faulty verbal argument while I was working on my Ph.D. I was interested in understanding how parents should invest resources to their offspring, specifically, how big should plants make their seeds. This is a relatively simple problem to think about. When plants reproduce they should be selected to make as many surviving offspring as possible. The number of surviving offspring should be the product of the number of seeds produced and the probability that a seedling survives after it germinates. The number of seeds produced depends on seed size; you can make fewer larger seeds or more smaller seeds. Because the size of a seed is influenced by how many resources that seed contains, the probability that a seedling survives is positively correlated with the size of the seed. The original models predicted that fitness would be maximized if a maternal plant made all of here seeds exactly the same size. However, when you actually measure sizes of individual seeds (and I measured tens of thousands of seeds during my Ph. D.) you see that there is a lot of variation in the size of seeds produced by the same plant. The focus of my Ph.D. research was to try to figure out why plants produced seeds of different sizes.

Several years earlier a scientist named Dan Janzen (a very famous tropical biologist) had published a theory suggesting that producing different sized seeds was an adaptation. His theory was based on a "hand-waving" verbal arguement. In a class I took in graduate school I developed a model to try to see if Janzen's arguement really made sense. My model suggested that Janzen's conclusions were wrong because the verbal logic he used was faulty. My professor suggested that I tried to publish my model. While I was writing that paper, another professor from Orgegon published a matehmatical model that came up with the completely different conclusions than my model. When I compared our two models, I saw that his conclusions were based on an unrealistic assumption and when you used the correct assumption in his model we drew similar conclusions.

Selection Thinking in Arid Environments

Because the environmental conditions in arid environments are particualarly severe, deserts offer an interesting location to study adaptations to local environmental conditions. Hopefully, the readings will give you a broad exposure to how natural selection can mold physiology, morpology, reproduction, and behavior in arid environments.

Powerpoint Presentation

Click here to see a powerpoint presentation "Introduction to Desert Flora and Fauna"
http://www.slideshare.net/secret/pw2UrKumkR7KRT

Expected Learning Outcomes

At the end of this course a fully engaged student should be able to

- identify and discuss the unique challenges associated with living in arid environments (TEKS 112.43 12C)
- explain adaptations of animals and plants for water uptake and water conservation (TEKS 112.43. 7B)
- explain adaptations of animals and plants for dealing with high temperatures (TEKS 112.43. 7B
- develop curricular materials to teach students about adaptations to arid environments TEKS 112.43. 7B)
- develop curricular materials to teach how animals or plants are adapted to a different (non-desert) environment ((TEKS 112.43. 7B & 112.43.12B)


Practice Assignment

To test your understanding of how natural selection affects traits, I suggest that you try to develop a lesson to teach your students how the traits that you observe depends on the environmental conditions. In about one page, outline the lesson you would use to explain how and why the same trait varies between two very different environments. I suggest that you choose an adaptation to life in the desert and compare that train in an very different environment such as a tropical rainforest (much wetter) or the arctic (much colder). If you post your answers here I, and hopefully your classmates, will provide you some feedback.

6 comments:

  1. This isn't a lesson but a comment on your posting and powerpoint....
    When talking about differences between same species in different environments is not also size typically different? In hot, dry environments the surface area to volume ratio becomes an issue. So rabbits, for instance, in colder regions would be larger than those found in the desert. The larger one needs to conserve heat while the smaller one is trying to get rid of it.
    On another note I like to compare tropical rainforests plant adaptations to desert plant adaptations because they are trying to do opposite things. One wants to get rid of the water and gain as much sunlight as possible while the other is trying to conserve water and reduce the amount of sunlight. Makes for interesting designs in both cases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the 5E model in my classrom so the following outline follows this model. I have tried to briefly outline the lesson. I have a more complete lesson plan but did not know if a post could include an attachment. I am still learning this whole blogg thing!

    Materials for this lesson’s engage section were adapted from the University of California, Los Angeles Life Science 1 Demonstration Manual – Copyright 2008 by Jennifer Doherty and Dr. Ingrid Waldron, Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania.

    Engage: (Day 1 – 20 – 25 minutes) This concept is new material for 6th graders; therefore more explanation is given in the Engage stage than I would normally provide. Sixth graders have not previously been introduced to this concept and reach frustration level quickly if support is not provided.
    1. Give each group a copy of the figures depicting the hawk and mice. The figure shows a before and after hawk relationship where mice that have white fur against the dark background expierence a population decrese. Allow time for team discussion.
    2. As a class discuss each team’s observations and hypothesis. Discuss the concept that living things that are well adapted to their environment increase their chance of survival and future reproduction. Provide the class with the following definitions:
    a. Adaption – any characteristic that increases fitness
    b. Fitness – an organism’s ability to survive and reproduce
    3. Pose the following question for class discussion: What characteristic of the mice is an adaptation that increased their fitness?
    4. Students record their observations and answers to the previous discussion questions in their individual interactive notebook or scientific journal.
    5. Give each group a copy of the data table concerning the four female mice that live on the sandy beach. Allow time for team discussion.
    6. As a class discuss each team’s observations and hypothesis. Pose the following question: If a mouse’s fur color is generally similar to its mother’s color, what color fur would be most common among the pups?
    7. Provide the class with a more complete definition of fitness that now includes the ability to survive and produce offspring who can also survive and reproduce. Also provide a definition for heritable and evolution by natural selection.
    a. Heritable – a characteristic which is influenced by genes and passed from parent to offspring (prior knowledge – Mendel’s pea plants)
    b. Evolution by Natural Selection – the process that takes place over many generations in which heritable adaptive characteristics become common in the population.
    8. Students record their observations and answers to the previous discussion questions in their individual interactive notebook or scientific journal.
    Explore: (Day 1 – 65 – 70 minutes)
    Students should complete the lab activities outlined in the Natural Selection Lab. This involves the class simulating the predator prey relationship in two different habitats (desert and rainforest). Students record their observations and answers to the previous discussion questions in their individual interactive notebook or scientific journal.

    Explain: (Day 2 – 40 minutes)
    1. Review and discuss the definitions for adaption, fitness, heritable, and evolution by natural selection.
    2. Post the class data tables from the previous Natural Selection Lab. Discuss patterns that can be observed in the data. Pose the question: How does this relate to natural selection?
    3. Students should then read pages from the textbook that are related to adaptation and natural selection. Use the section review questions as discussion questions. Students record their observations and answers to the previous discussion questions in their individual interactive notebook or scientific journal.
    Elaborate: (Day 2 – 45 to 60 minutes)
    Students should complete the Natural Selection Project as outlined by the Natural Selection Project Guidelines. If time permits, these projects can be presented to the class for peer evaluation in addition to teacher evaluation.
    Evaluate
    Students will be evaluated on their power point presentations of their species adaptations as they increase their fitness in the two separate habitats (desert and rainforest)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natascha, You are correct that body size is a factor that seems to be influenced by temperature. The observation that organisms of the same type tend to get larger as they occur in higher latitudes is known as Bergman's Rule which appears to apply to many different types of organisms.

    As you mentioned, surface/volume issues do appear to be important for understanding this. Even with my college students, I find getting them to understand why the surface/volume ration changes as an object of the same shape increases in size. This is an extremely important concept in many areas of biology and it seems like it might be a useful topic for biology and math teachers to work on together. Understanding how surface/volume rations change is an interesting topic in geometry that has many applications in biology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandy,

    Thanks for this excellant lesson plan. Seeing you outline how you would cover this material in your classes is very valuable to me.

    If you have any information that you would like to post (attachments, links, etc) then please send them to me and I will be happy to post them. It would be great if this class could lead to the exchange of useful information between the members of the course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandy, Thanks for posting this interesting lesson plan. It is very useful for me to see how you would apply the material that we are discussing in this course in your home classrooms. As I mentioned in my previous post comparing adaptations to deserts with adaptations to the environment in the rainforest seems like an ideal comparison

    If you have info that you would like to share with everyone else (attachments, links, etc.) then send them to me and I can post them. It would be great if we could use this course as a way to exchange valuable information between students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I type a response to this topic I am reminded by someone close to me that I am behind on my post and my readings. I am responding to the different subject matter in no particular order. This topic on desert ecology interested most that the present so … here goes it!
    I too am intrigued by the desert. Particularly the northern boundaries of the Chihuahuan desert namely the Big Bend and Fort Davis area. I have grown to look this area of Texas as one of my favorite environments (that is if one s allowed to have a favorite environment) . Similarly to you Mark, I too had a professor as an undergraduate who had an influence on the courses that I took and even now what has become my favorite or of the year/ subject matter to teach. Dr. Carl Wood was my professor for the first Biology class I took as a freshman while attending Texas A & I University down in Kingsville. I really enjoyed his general biology class. He had a way of making you feel as if you were not just another face in the crowd. Even though this was one of the few lecture hall classes offered at A & I. with about 100 students attending on a daily basis. It was not until I had Dr. Wood as an instructor in a junior level ecology class that cemented my love to ecology. My first trip to Big Bend was in 1985 on a class fieldtrip to Big Bend during the Easter break. Compared to the coastal ecology I was accustomed to the ‘Bend” was my first experience of “What is a desert?”. We did the three major ecosystems of the park, the river , the desert floor, and was the people of the area call the island in the desert, the Chisos Mountains. It was hard to imagine three distinct ecosystems in such close proximity. I Have lost count the times that I have revisited the park I know that it is somewhere in the teens. I have been there at least once ever season of the year. I have seen its unique beauty and have experienced its ever changing weather. Have you ever transversed Terlingua Creek after a spring rain? I have! I too have hung my feet over the South Rim and soaked my tired muscles in the magical waters of the Hot Springs. With my beloved floated Santa Elena, and before the closing of the unofficial border crossing, been ferried across the river and ridden the donkeys to Boquillas for a bit of culture. (Rocks, Mexican Beer, and Tacos). From the biology, geology and the other sciences, Big Bend and the Chihuahuan desert has something for every one to experience.
    If it was not for conflicting dates I would have loved to invite myself to your Rio Grande Trip that one of classes will be taking in March. I sure that their will be at least one person in that class who will have an enlightening experience as they encounter a ecological treasure of our state and nation.

    ReplyDelete